The crystalline beaches, the food, the climate… this island is a paradise! Today we tell you the 20 places to see in Mykonos that can’t be missing from your list!
Mykonos has not lost its essence despite the amount of tourists they receive every day, something complicated today and that we loved! ♥
In Chora, that little village of blue and white houses that we see so much in Instagram, there are still people who tend their clothes at the door and constantly listen to “kali mera” (good day) among the neighbors.
We could also see it in the old port where the fishing boats go out to fish outside the cruises that dock on the island daily.
We recommend you to dedicate at least 3 days to Mykonos and rent a car or motorbike to see the island from end to end.
At the end of the post you have a map with all the locations of the places to see in Mykonos that for us are essential!
What to visit in Mykonos
1. The Paraportiani Orthodox Church is located between Little Venice and the old port.
It is one of the most photographed churches because it is the oldest on the island.
What to see in Mykonos, Orthodox Church of Paraportiani
2. Relax on one of the Little Venice terraces. These terraces at the foot of the sea have incredible views of the 7 windmills on the left and the small houses hanging on the right.
One of the coolest places to have a drink in Mykonos.
3. It wanders through the centre of Chora, the capital of Mykonos. You will also see posters where they call it “Mykonos Town”, don’t get involved because they are the same 😉
Lose yourself in the lively downtown streets, or better yet! Get up a little early and enjoy the calm of the first hour of the morning.
You know that we like to get up early on trips, relax in the streets of Chora when the shops are still closed and the cruises have not arrived in the city is one of the things you have to do in Mykonos yes or yes!
What to see in Mykonos, Chora
4. Explore the island of Delos. It is one of the most important excursions to make from Mykonos, visit the archaeological sites of the neighboring island of Delos, the birthplace of the god Apollo.
Boats depart for the island of Delos from the old port and the journey takes 30 minutes.
Apart from paying for the boat that takes you to the island, you also have to pay the entrance fee to the site.
5. Have a drink in the restaurant Kastro´s and relax in one of the tables that you will find in one of the most photographed alleys of Mykonos.
Inside the restaurant there are also balconies with beautiful views of the Aegean Sea and the typical windmills.
Don’t forget to write this beautiful alley on your list of things to see in Mykonos!
TIP: The letter does not appear, but you can order a coffee or some natural juices. Or don’t take anything and stop by to see the sights.
What to do in Mykonos
6. Taste the local gastronomy, as in all Greece the food is extraordinary! We will not easily forget the pita gyros nor the mousakas!
7. Don’t forget to buy a typical souvenir, the most popular is the famous Greek eye (also known as Turkish eye).
It is said that it protects against negative influences such as envy, evil eye… not only will you see it in souvenirs, the Greeks place them everywhere!
In the centre of Chora there are plenty of little shops, and although souvenirs are generally cheaper in Athens, you’ll probably end up with some!
→ Don’t miss 20 things to see and do in Athens
Greek-eyed souvenirs in Mykonos
8. Take a stroll through the old port of Mykonos, this small port is still a starting point for boats bound for Delos and for small local fishing boats.
9. And without leaving the previous point… don’t miss the church of Agios Nikolaos, this small church contrasts in the middle of the old port of Mykonos.
In its surroundings you will see the small fishermen’s stand where they sell fresh fish.
10. The windmills Kato Milli is a must see in Mykonos, one of the symbols of the island.
These seven windmills on the first line of the beach are crowded with tourists at almost any time of the day, but it is easy to find a place to take your picture.
It is also one of the most popular places to watch the sunset in Mykonos.
If you go by car right behind the mills you can park for free, it is one of the tips you have in the post of tips for renting a car in the Greek islands.
Sunset at the windmills Kato Milli
11. Enjoy a beautiful sunset from Boni´s Windmill, another of the famous Mykonos mills.
On this island you can enjoy some sunsets to die of love. In this case, we separated a little from the mill and were completely alone.
Sunset from Boni´s Windmill, Mykonos
And we still have more places to see in impressive Mykonos!
12. And with more sunsets! The 180 Degrees Sunset Bar is an ideal place to watch the sunset! You can see it in our outstanding stories of Instagram with the title “Grecia 2”.
Although the entrance is free it is possible that when you enter they make you pay 5€ that will be discounted in your consumption, we were not asked but we read some comments in TripAdvisor that said so.
It is not exactly an economic place, we take these things as experiences, just as we pay a ticket to a tourist attraction we give these whims from time to time 🙂
The place is well worth it and the views from the top are spectacular.
Sunset on the terrace 180 Degrees Sunset Bar
13. Buy yourself something unique and special, the center of Mykonos besides having souvenir shops, has many shops of local artisans and artists.
You can also stroll down Matogianni Street, the most exclusive shopping street in Mykonos.
14. It’s not all going to be sightseeing! Choose a hotel with a swimming pool and leave aside the list of things to see and do in Mykonos.
We chose the Corfos Hotel and were able to relax in the pool and forget the hustle and bustle of Mykonos.
Hotel Corfos in Mykonos
Enjoy the beaches! Mykonos is famous for its beaches and after having seen them it doesn’t miss us at all!
The best places to take a bath are in the south of the island.
Very close to the hotel we had the beach of Ornos, which is also very nice, but we liked it the most (we didn’t see them all either) was the Kapari cove, for its incredible crystalline waters and the tranquility of the place.
If you don’t have a motorcycle or rental car, to get there you will have to walk a lot from the bus stop, at the end of the post you have the exact location on the map.
→ Here you can read some tips to rent a car in Greece and let everything go smoothly!
Cala de Kapari, one of the must-see places in Mykonos
16. Going to Paradise Beach is a must if you like the combination of beach and party, we don’t do much and we just stop by to take a look!
There is also a hotel on the beach that may be a good option if you are looking for this type of trip.
If you go by public transportation there are buses that link Chora with Paradise Beach.
17. Refresh yourself with a homemade ice cream or try the famous Greek yogurt! They do really well at Trio Bambini, one of the most famous places to make a stop on our route by Mykonos.
18. Go to the Armenistis Lighthouse, is located 9 km from Chora and is another thing to see in Mykonos if you take car or motorbike rental.
If you’re a lighthouse enthusiast, you’re sure to love this corner of the island.
The sunset from this point also looks phenomenal.
Armenistis Lighthouse, Mykonos
19. Rent a car or a motorbike and explore the island of Mykonos on your own.
The rental car (and the air conditioning, let’s not forget it, hehehe) allowed us to enjoy the island with total freedom.
We rent a car through Auto Europe for every day of our trip to the Greek islands.
20. Take a thousand pictures! Try to take the empty memory card with you because you will fill it when you visit Mykonos.
Every corner of Mykonos is a place of postcard, the mills, the flowers, the turquoise color of the sea … we do not get tired of taking thousands of photos!
But always remember to make a responsible tourism! Don’t climb on the roofs of churches, don’t pass signs that forbid the passage, respect the people who live there and their houses, in short, be a responsible tourist and don’t notice that you passed by.
Map of all things to see and do in Mykonos:
Accommodation in Mykonos:
To stay in Mykonos we chose the Hotel Corfos, it was recently renovated and it seemed that we were using the room for the first time.
It has a huge pool with Balinese beds where you can cool off from the heat, we had breakfast included and free parking, which was great for us!
We would repeat this hotel without hesitation!
And so much for our list of things to see in Mykonos!
The truth is that Mykonos was a pleasant surprise in our trip through the Greek islands, we expected to find an island with lots of party and nightclubs and the truth is that we did not find any of that!
We are sure that we will return to this island because when we like a destination we always repeat! And we loved Mykonos ♥
Would you add anything else to see in Mykonos? We look forward to hearing from you! 🙂
Other articles about Greece:
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO THE GREEK ISLANDS FOR FREE TIPS TO TRAVEL TO GREECE FOR THE FIRST TIME 20 THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN ATHENS + TIPS TO RENT A CAR IN GREECE, ATHENS AND ISLANDS. 15 ESSENTIAL PLACES TO SEE IN SANTORINI WHERE TO STAY IN SANTORINI, BEST AREAS AND OUR RECOMMENDATIONS! WHERE TO STAY AT ATHENS AND WHAT AREAS TO AVOID HOW TO GET FROM ATHENS AIRPORT TO DOWNTOWN