What are the best cards for commission-free travel? The question you ask us so often through social networks!
I have finally found the space to write a post on this subject that is so worrying when we are planning a trip.
Let’s talk about the three travel cards that we use, that have no commissions (neither to pay nor to withdraw from the cashier) and that we can give an informed opinion about!
We tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each, and our conclusion at the end of the post.
All the cards we are talking about are registered through the App is a 100% fast and secure online process, without the need to go to any physical office.
Better cards for commission-free travel – Index:
BETTER CARDS FOR COMMISSION-FREE TRAVEL
Advantages of the N26 card for travelling:
– 100% FREE – FREE ATM withdrawals in the euro zone up to five times, then charge 2€ – Unlimited commission-free purchases in the euro zone and outside the euro zone – It has an associated account number, it’s like a bank of a lifetime but everything online – You can pay with chip, magnetic stripe, contactless, and also from your mobile with Apple Pay and Google Pay – Transfers can be made to any bank for free.
Disadvantages of the N26 card for travelling:
– Cash withdrawals from ATMs outside the euro zone have a 1.7% commission.
CARD N26 BLACK
Advantages of the N26 BLACK card for travelling:
– Same as the N26 plus unlimited commission-free withdrawal abroad – Has international travel insurance covering among other things: Mobile theft, aircraft delay, luggage protection, cash theft protection, purchase protection and medical expenses abroad.
Disadvantages of the N26 BLACK card for travel:
– It has a monthly cost of 9.90€ and an annual permanence commitment.
Advantages of the BNEXT card for travelling:
– 100% FREE – ATM cash withdrawals are FREE. In the euro zone three times, outside the euro zone also three times but with a limit of 500€ – purchases without commission. In the euro zone unlimited purchases, outside the euro zone up to 2000€ – You can pay with chip, magnetic stripe and contactless, although the option of magnetic stripe is the most problematic for us – Within the BNEXT application we can consult how much we have spent outside the euro zone and not have to go making calculations.
Disadvantages of the BNEXT card for travelling:
– It’s a prepaid card. This means that you do not have an associated account number and in some places this type of card is not supported – It is not compatible with Apple Pay or Google Pay – Transfers cannot be made, only between Bnext customers.
APPLY HERE FOR YOUR BNEXT CARD AND GET 5€ AS A GIFT!
It is the only one of all the cards we have not yet tested, we have just received it and hope to test it in the coming weeks. He has very good opinions of other travelers.
Advantages of the REVOLUT card for travelling:
– 100% FREE – Cash withdrawals from the ATM are FREE up to €200 – Commission-free purchases in over 150 currencies – Free domestic and international transfers.
Disadvantages of the REVOLUT card for travelling:
– From 200€ of withdrawal from the cashier has a commission of 2% – You have to paste 6€ of shipping costs of the card, but from our link is free!
REQUEST YOUR REVOLUT CARD HERE (no shipping costs!!)
Our opinion of the BNEXT, N26 and N26 BLACK cards for travel:
Recently we have been using the three cards in our last trip along the west coast and in general the N26 has made us a little worse the change from dollars to euros (a few cents go per operation, nothing relevant).
In many places where you could only pay with magnetic stripe the BNEXT was rejected.
The N26 have never failed us. Not in the 3 months in Asia, not in the USA, not in our travels in Europe.
If you travel sporadically, we recommend you take the normal N26 and the BNEXT, both of which are free cards with no commissions or permanence commitments.
With the BNEXT you can earn up to 500€ a month abroad and with the N26 you can pay in any currency without commissions and you have never been rejected, let’s say you make a good tandem!
APPLY HERE FOR YOUR N26 CARD
APPLY HERE FOR YOUR BNEXT CARD AND GET 5€ AS A GIFT!
Remember that both cards are free, without permanence, and the best thing is that everything is done online and from the App!
If you travel often you can consider the N26 BLACK, we are very happy with it.
APPLY HERE FOR YOUR N26 BLACK CARD
Advice when paying by credit card and withdrawing money abroad:
It is advisable to always carry at least two or three cards when travelling, for anything that may happen, loss, theft, breakage …
When you pay with a card in a currency other than the euro, sometimes the POS will ask you which currency you want to pay in (euros or the currency of the country in which you are buying), you must always indicate in the currency of the country, to prevent the bank of the store make a bad change.
Try (if possible) not to take money from ATMs that are in the middle of the street, without a bank or store that responds to them. In China we swallowed the card a cashier who had in the middle of nowhere and often scared! Luckily, after two minutes he expelled her and we were still there! If it had been a bank, it was enough to go inside and say that our card had remained inside the ATM. We learned our lesson!
And here’s our post with the best cards to travel without commissions!
We hope to have helped you a little with our experience, if you know of other travel cards without commissions that have gone well we will be happy to hear from you in the comments! 🙂